History of the PalZ

Current scientific work and activities of the Society since 1914

The PalZ - Paläontologische Zeitschrift first appeared in 1914 and was until the 1980s also the organ of the Society, through which members were informed about current scientific work and activities of the Society. Minutes of the general meetings and board meetings were published in the PalZ as well as scientific papers and small reports on current finds and sites. Only in the course of the 1980s did the journal develop into a purely scientific organ. Palaeontologie Aktuell was founded for the information of the members, which was later merged into the Geosciences Mitteilungen (GMIT).

The PalZ was from the beginning with the publishing house of the Bornträger brothers. After the Second World War, the Bornträger Verlag was then absorbed into the Schweizerbart'schen Verlagsgesellschaft. The close connection between the Paläontologische Gesellschaft and Schweizerbart'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, which has existed for many years, has made the Paläontologische Zeitschrift into a respected and internationally renowned scientific journal. Finally, in 2009, the journal was transferred to Springer-Verlag. Members now have full online access to the last 10 volumes. All issues of the Paläontologische Zeitschrift ever published have been digitized and are now available online with electronic abstracts. The PalZ - Paläontologische Zeitschrift was included in the ISI Index of Science in 2005. With the change to Springer-Verlag in 2008, the PalZ - Paläontologische Zeitschrift took another step towards the internationalization of the society and the journal.

 

The Paläontologische Zeitschrift is one of the first and few journals that has been supported and financed throughout by a palaeontological society as a member journal. Only a few palaeontological societies were able to present a journal directly connected with the foundation or in a timely manner. Between 1914 and 2008 a total of 82 volumes with 311 regular issues and two special issues (1956, 1962) were published. The originally planned publication frequency of one volume per year could not always be maintained due to wartime or financial reasons (e.g. 1917, 1941, 1945-1950). By 2010, a total of 1895 scientific individual articles, 234 society news and 59 necrologists had been published. The journal currently comprises 27,820 printed pages, 11,210 illustrations and 1014 plates (1914 to 2008).

Most scientific articles (1259) were written in German; others in English (586; first published in 1927) and French (50; first published in 1932). In 1987 for the first time more English than German articles appeared in the Paläontologische Zeitschrift. Also the format and appearance of the journal Change of the title pages of the journal, including the logo of the Society, has changed several times since its first issue. 13 main editors and 16 co-editors have ensured the scientific standard and content orientation of the Paläontologische Zeitschrift over the last 94 years. Hermann Schmidt (Göttingen) and Helmut Hölder (Münster), aged 11 and 13 respectively, had the longest period of sole responsibility.

 

Kontakt

Paläontologische Gesellschaft
Geschäftsstelle
Weismüllerstr. 45
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Tel.: 069 / 400 3019 71
Fax: 069 / 400 3019 74
Email: geschaeftsstelle(at)palges.de
Internet: www.palges.de

Newsletter bestellen
Mitglied werden
Unsere Datenschutzerklärung

Donations

Latest news

Article of the presentation on 09.01.2020 in the reopened Jura Museum Eichstätt.

Read more

Ein Kommentar zur Stellungnahme der Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (SVP) zu den Standards für eingereichte Manuskripte vom 21. April 2020.

Read more

Participation of the Paläontologischen Gesellschaft in the GeoUtrecht 2020 withdrawn.

Read more